»

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Backpack...backpack

I shot my first deer almost 20 years ago. Over the years my hunting has changed a lot, from having to borrow a rifle to actually owning my own, from using a shotgun in Illinois to hunting with a bow when we moved back to Kansas. I have hunted out of tree stands, than have been in the same tree for decades to stalking deer on the ground. Probably the biggest change I have made is what I do with all my hunting stuff.

For years I loaded my pockets with everything I thought I needed, bullets, pen, license and tag, even extra gloves and a hat. There were times when I am sure I looked like the stay puff marshmallow man. The pockets of my coat and pants were stuffed as full as they could be. Then every time I got home everything had to be unloaded. Every time I left to go hunt, I had to load everything back up. I was always afraid I would forget something important, like bullets. Let’s not talk about that though.

A couple years ago, I was in Wal-Mart and saw the fix for my dilemma…a camouflage backpack. I think it was like $10. The price was right, so I bought it. I started putting all my “stuff” in it.
Having that backpack was great. Now I could throw my binoculars in it, my range finder, the release for my bow, my knife, spare gloves and hat, calls, scents, candy, flashlight and spare batteries and of course my cell phone in it and know where it was at all times. The problem is, you get what you pay for, and that first backpack wore out pretty quickly. The strap broke one day while I was wearing it. I bought another one, loaded it up and wore it out in just one season as well.

So this year I saved my pennies and nickels. We went to Cabela’s and I bought a really nice hunting backpack. It is made especially for bow hunters. It has a compartment for my range finder, a place for my release, a pocket for my face mask, and even a place to strap my quiver on the side. It is out of the way but still accessible.

When I got home, I began transferring all the stuff from the old pack into the new one. I was quickly amazed at all the junk I had accumulated. Having a spare pair of gloves is one thing, but I had a pair of heavy gloves, mittens, neoprene gloves, camouflage jersey gloves and three brown jersey gloves.

I also found my stocking cap, a full face mask, and a fleece neck gaiter. There were also several ink pens, most of which did not work. Some scrap pieces of paper and a hand full of empty candy wrappers. On one hand it was kind of like a treasure hunt. I found some things I had been missing. On the other hand, I have been hauling around a bunch of junk I did not need. Everyone knows excess weight just holds you back.

For some reason this verse popped into my mind.

Hebrews 12:1 says Therefore; since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us.

Have you taken the time to examine your life to see if there is excess junk that keeps you from living the way God wants you too? Maybe it is a habit, or bitterness, or unforgiveness or even busyness. Sometimes we get so used to it being there, we think it is a normal and necessary part of our life. When in reality, it’s just excess weight that holds us back from living the life God meant for us to live.

So empty your “backpack” through prayer. Ask God to go through the contents and show you what needs to go. Then get rid of it.

0 comments: